A white handbag is a popular fashion accessory that is a magnet for dirt, dust and ink stains.
To repair your white purse—whether it is constructed of patent leather or suede—requires a steady hand and a meticulous cleaning process.
Things You'll Need
- Lint roller
- Pre-moistened leather wipes
- Small-bristled brush
- Emory board
- Suede eraser
- Rubbing alcohol
- Cotton swab
- White vinegar
- Old T-shirt
- White cloth
- Ammonia-based window cleaner
- Clean the interior. Pull out the inside lining of the purse. Pick up any debris, hair or dirt using a lint roller.
- Remove minor canvas and leather stains. Clean your leather bag with a pre-moistened leather wipe. Remove any dirt or dust stains from canvas using a small-bristled brush—no water needed.
- Gently remove dirt trapped in suede with a suede eraser or emory board. Rub the suede tools gently using a circular motion to free dirt from the nap.
- Remove unsightly ink stains with rubbing alcohol. Dip a cotton swab in a capful of rubbing alcohol. Press the swab into the stain lightly to remove from leather. Wipe the purse with a damp white cloth dipped in cold water. Let the bag air-dry overnight in a well-ventilated area.
- Mix vinegar and water to remove black scuffs in white patent. Mix 2 tbsps. of vinegar with 1 1/2 cups of water. Using a clean white cloth, wipe the bag with the diluted vinegar. Clean the bag with cold water and an old T-shirt to remove the vinegar smell and residue.
- Restore patent leather’s shine with window cleaner. Spray a white cloth with an ammonia-based cleaner. Wipe the handbag clean with water to remove any residue.
- Repair your purse professionally. For damaged exotic skins, beaded handbags or large tears in your purse’s exterior, use a handbag restoration service like Artbag.
- Sprinkle cornstarch onto a grease-stained white handbag. Leave the powder on top of the bag for a maximum of 15 minutes. Brush the stained area gently with an old cloth to remove the oil and the cornstarch.
Tips & Warnings
- The cost to repair a purse in 2017 ranges from 40 to 300 dollars depending on the damage and material used to construct the bag.
- Test a small area underneath your white handbag for colorfastness with the alcohol or ammonia-based cleanser.