Spotting a fake Louis Vuitton handbag is hard work.
Counterfeiters are now incorporating signature details into fake Louis Vuitton bags that are difficult for the untrained eye to see.
With the brand's imitated logo plastered on 99% of all LV bags in the marketplace, there's a big chance that web retailers are selling fake Louis Vuitton purses beyond New York's infamous Canal Street.
Despite the sales of fake handbags linked to organized crime, illegal sweatshops and child labor, designer handbag lovers are still looking for that elusive authentic Louis Vuitton purse at the end of the web rainbow.
If you're still willing to take a chance on an online deal sight unseen, here are the internet's best fashion tips to spot a fake Louis Vuitton bag and where to buy real ones.
- 0.1 Shop LouisVuitton.com
- 0.2 Know Your Louis Vuitton handbag collections.
- 0.3 Visit MyPoupette.com
- 0.4 Check out BagBliss.com for fakes.
- 0.5 Harper's Bazaar will help you spot a replica.
- 0.6 Smell your Bag
- 0.7 Look for a Datecode
- 1 Make sure you can answer the following questions before buying a Louis Vuitton handbag online:
Only Louis Vuitton guarantees 100% authenticity.
There's only one way to avoid buying a fake Louis Vuitton bag; purchase it from the source. Genuine LV products are sold via the exclusive distribution network of Louis Vuitton stores.
Know Your Louis Vuitton handbag collections.
If you can't tell a Speedy from a Pouchette or Epi Leather from Murakami, you're in trouble.
Counterfeiters are notorious for mix-matching styles from each collection and creating a hodge-podge handbag disaster.
My Poupette.com has a list of fake-bag-Ebay-selling-sites that you should avoid.
Established in 1999 as the world's largest and oldest designer authentication company, My Poupette has a list of online Ebay sites that sell fake designer Louis Vuitton handbags. Memorize this list and double-check these web pages before purchasing.
Check out BagBliss.com for fakes.
Bag Bliss's list of Fake Louis Vuitton handbags is thoroughly begging for a bookmark.
Harper's Bazaar will help you spot a replica.
At Harper's Bazaar ‘s site, you can find tips on how to avoid buying a fake designer bag and learn what you can do to help spread the message that fakes are never in fashion.
Here are the best of HB's list of tips to avoid buying a fake Louis Vuitton bag.
- Check the inner label of the bag for any design inconsistencies. The logo should be centered, and you will find a serial number or hologram inside the bag. And, if there is a serial number, is will be in the correct sequence.
- Study the inside pockets. Does the purse you're eyeing have the correct number of pockets in the right placement for that particular bag model?
- Examine the stitching. The seams along the outside of the purse is another key area to pay careful attention to when spotting a fake – bad craftsmanship is often a key replica giveaway. For example, the Louis Vuitton Alma bag has double-reinforced stitching on the outside of the purse. Fakes usually don't. Lastly, slanted, uneven or sloppy back-and-forth stitching on the outside of the bag is a sign of a poorly made purse.
- Look for a cheap handbag lining. Run your fingers across the inside of the bag to feel the quality of the fabric and to carefully inspect the color consistency. Some counterfeiters create replicas from photos, which can distort the tone of coloring, leading to the replica creator installing the wrong shade of lining in the bag.
- Review the purse's handle tabs. Tabs on the real LV bag are made in one piece; fakes may have a seam down the middle.
- Feel the hardware. Vuitton's hardware is high-quality — on the fakes, hardware coating is often uneven.
Smell your Bag
Newsflash: Fake Louis Vuitton handbags, although some contain a significant portion of vinyl, do not smell like leather.
Whether the Louis Vuitton bag is a vintage Speedy or the latest handbag confection from the brilliant mind of Marc Jacobs, a part of the purse will smell like leather. 4. If the piping is not leather, it is fake
Look for a Datecode
According to Lollipuff.com, LV date codes are always found on a small, square piece of leather on the inside of the bag, or on the side of the purse near an inside seam. Unless the date code has been rubbed down due to wear — or the bag is ancient, you should always find a date code inside an authentic Louis Vuitton.
Here are the following countries where LV bags are made and their corresponding date codes:
- Manufactured in Spain- CA, GI, LO, LB, LM, LW
- Manufactured in Italy- BC, BO, CE, FO, MA, RC, RE, SA, TD
- Manufactured in the United States of America.- FC, FH, FL, LA, OS, SD
- Manufactured in Switzerland- DI, FA
- Manufactured in France- A0, A1, A2, AA, AAS, AH, AN, AR, AS, BA, BJ, BU, DR, DU, CO, CT, ET, FL, LW, MB, MI, NO, RA, RI, SD, SF, SL, SN, SP, SR, TJ, TH, TR, TS, VI, VX
- Manufactured in Germany- LP
Make sure you can answer the following questions before buying a Louis Vuitton handbag online:
- What color is the bag’s interior for my particular Louis Vuitton handbag?
- What is the proper placement of the date code?
- Is the Louis Vuitton handbag properly priced? A bag that retails for $1300 will not be sold for $500.
- Can I trust the seller? Is there any positive seller feedback from many buyers?
- What type of packaging will accompany the bag? Louis Vuitton has very strict presentation and packaging standards for their luxury items.
- Does the Louis Vuitton handbag come with a dust bag? And if so, is the dust bag authentic?
- Is this a limited edition Louis Vuitton handbag?
- What hardware is included with the Louis Vuitton purse? Are the bag missing locks, keys, and metalware?
- Can you verify that the sales receipt is authentic? Buyers beware. There are counterfeit sale receipts floating around the internet.
Do extensive handbag homework before purchasing any luxury items outside authorized retailers. If it looks like a fake, seems like a fake, and is considerably below retail, it probably is counterfeit.
Consider treating yourself to an authentic Louis Vuitton handbag. After all these hours spent becoming a fake Louis Vuitton bag expert, you deserve to splurge on the real thing.
Video – How to Tell If A Louis Vuitton Bag is Real or Fake
Here's a list of websites with more information to help your spot a real designer purse:
- How to Spot an LV Bag: 10 Questions to Ask – Forbes